Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

MY TESTIMONY ON HOUSE BILL 2

Howdy folks.  Blogging is hard to do on a regular basis when your connectivity is not mobile.  I've been on my toes, and on the go since the 2013 legislative session began gearing up at the beginning of the year.  As you may know, currently, the second special session is underway.  The despicable governor of our state has fast-tracked the abortion legislation denied due process by both chambers during regular session.  I have been at the capitol most of the last ten days about this matter.  The House State Affairs committee hearing on the omnibus abortion legislation, House Bill 2, occurred today.  Unfortunately, I was unable to be in Austin today to testify in person.  I was denied that right by this same committee last Thursday, June 28.  I will still testify and submit my testimony electronically to sources that will see that my voice reaches those committee members.  As I watched the hearing tonight via the Tribune's live stream, I wrote down what I would say during public testimony.  It is as follows:

I am Martha Stark Dolese, representing myself, from House District 17, in opposition to HB 2.  I have watched Republican leadership cut funding to healthcare services to low-income, vulnerable Texas women, for the last two years.  I see this majority party now blatantly using the highly-charged, emotional, hot button issue of abortion to not only further cripple the most vulnerable females in our society, but for their own agenda of garnering more power over us.  The systematic oppression of the people is unbearable for this Texan to watch. 

I remember a time, not so long ago, my state flourished under Democratic rule.  I am a proud, fifth-generation, Texan Democrat.  Texas Democratic Party by creed, represents the interest of the people, and only the people in all it's policy objectives.  In the summer of 2012, in Houston, Texas, I was privileged to be part of a captive audience listening to one of this state's greatest Democratic women, the Honorable Sissy Farenthold.  She stressed to us the vitality of our attention paid to a PAC called the American Legislative Exchange Council.  I did just that.  It is painfully obvious to me what's going on here. It's no secret that this bill's author is in alignment with ALEC, and against the will of the people.  And, might I add, a great embarrassment to the legacy of strong, Texas women in public service to this great state.

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't about abortion at all.  Of course abortion is unacceptable, in my opinion.  But history shows that it is also inevitable.  You cannot force a female with bully tactics, nor with legislation, into not having an abortion.  Roe v Wade was heard in 1973, by our nation's highest court, that decided that issue.  Choice is the right of every American woman regardless of my opinion or yours.  Enough with the legislation that slowly erodes that right.

The feminist army is working just like Battleground Texas and every county Democratic party in the state, and many other groups too numerous to name, to return this state government's power to those representatives who honor our voices and interests; to people who protect and preserve our rights, not slowly chip away at them.  Once our beloved Texas has been restored to reflect the will of the people, I look forward to working hard alongside every Texan in this room, to see to it that women, nay all Texans, have stellar public education that includes, starting in fifth grade and continuing, and becoming more detailed through twelfth grade, comprehensive sex education.  I want to work with my fellow Texan to see to it that state and federal funds are maximized in programs that continue to promote healthy reproductive behavior.

Programs that had been in place in Texas, have recently been cut by the governor of this state.  Planned Parenthood has been defunded and unfairly demonized when what they are doing is engaging in the work of prevention and education.  Federal Title X funds of $35 million, were forfeited by the governor.   He has consistently refused any federal funds that come to Texas, and have without question in the past.  And, he's doing it to thumb his nose at the current administration.  He is a pandering fool, and he has no right to refuse money on behalf of this state.  He does not represent my will in that matter.  That money he refused would offset the cost for clinics providing family planning services.  So many programs that provide the masses with pregnancy preventive measures and information, have been axed because of Perry's actions. 

I think I speak for everyone in this room, probably every Texan, when I say we would all love nothing more than to eradicate abortion.  The ways I've mentioned are a doable means to that end.  Cutting funds for pregnancy prevention services and education are not.  House Bill 2 was written in preparation for the regular, biennium session, but was never taken up by either chamber of the legislature.  The governor's fast-tracking of this legislation by way of special sessions, is infuriating and demeans the people of Texas. 

I am thrilled to be part of a growing group of citizens who will no longer tolerate OUR government being hijacked and thrown to the dogs.  I will not live in the theocracy being pushed down my throat by the majority party's members because they're power-hungry and self-serving; I will work to elect representatives who will serve all the people in our society.  I will fight for democracy in the state I love, and so will my children, and the generations to come from them, after me.  If you vote to move this House Bill 2 forward to debate on the House floor, let me just leave you with this sentiment: I hope you've enjoyed your time in service to the people of the great state of Texas.

Peace, Love, Solidarity ~
Martha

3 comments:

  1. Awesome words, Martha! Our families are in this together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Martha! Hopefully Kirk Watson will be successful in getting statewide hearings on this. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have DAYS and DAYS of women and men testifying across this state?

    Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete