Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Sunday, March 25, 2012

BLAHS AND BUNNIES

I was suppose to work on Friday subbing for SpEd at elementary school.  I had to call the office administrator at 6:30 am and tell her I was ill.  During the night, I had been overcome with a stomach issue.  My tendency is to blame the lunch at MeMes (fine TexMex cuisine) the day before.  Truthfully, my age is telling me that my eating habits had better change for the better; and right quick.   It's Sunday afternoon, and I'm finally beginning to feel normal again. 

On Wednesday, after my daughter begged me for months, we stopped by a pet store in San Marcos, and bought her a baby bunny.  By Friday, our new addition had begun to show signs of lethargy and was having diarrhea.  I immediately googled what to do, and learned that diarrhea in a baby is most times deadly.  I rushed the baby to the vet, and Dr Sanchez went to action saving our Simba's life.  While I've been home under the weather, I've been nursing this innocent rabbit back to health.  The two of us have bonded nicely since daughter has been out with a friend all weekend.  Simba's plight was likely due to the fact that he was weaned a bit too early.  With Easter upon us, beware of purchasing these furry cuties for your children from a pet store.  Instead, look for a shelter in or near your community.  These organizations must adhere to strict care guidlines including spaying and neutering.  Another notable fact: bunnies are best bought and kept in pairs.  They are very social creatures.  So if you will not be able to spend lots of time with them, ensure they have a companion.

After I did the weekly grocery shopping earlier, I sat down to watch an old movie, Dirty Dancing.  A classic and personal favorite, seeing it again today highlighted an observation about current politics.  I'm referring to the storyline of the young woman who becomes pregnant, and decides to seek an abortion.  The movie's setting is pre-Roe v Wade.  In secret, the young woman ends up under the knife of an ill-qualified "doctor" who performs the procedure that almost causes the woman's death.  Had it not been for Baby's father, a real doctor, she might well have lost her life as did so many women back in the days before abortion became legal.  The legislation that Republicans are introducing in a growing number of states, is indicative of the ideal that those very times are what the Republicans would have us facing all over again.

I leave you with this sentiment.  We can ill-afford to go backward where women's rights are concerned.  In the words of President Bill Clinton, "Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare."  VOTE DEMOCRAT.  Always....

PLS ~

No comments:

Post a Comment