Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SEEING RED

Since I began volunteering my time and talents to the grassroots organization Unite Women, I have been hearing about Marcia Ball and her activism for women's healthcare.  On March 15, I attended my first ever rally at the capitol.  Cecile Richards' bus tour to support Planned Parenthood was making its final stop in Austin after a whirlwind trip across Texas.  Cecile is president of the organization, and our former governor, Ann Richards' daughter.  It was at this rally, I first heard Marcia speak.  For one month, she has held her own rally every Tuesday at noon.  Today, I attended the final "Seeing Red" rally.

Upon arrival in the Capitol Visitors Parking Garage, I quickly met a lady in red.  We walked the three blocks together, and got to know each other.  Before I left one hour later, there were surely 100 people onsite wearing red.  Most of us carried signs with demanding, funny, inspiring, shocking sayings; my sign said "Stand Up for Women's Healthcare."  Others, had pots and spoons, and were banging to high heaven.  I know our legislature is not in session currently, but I believe our lawmakers are hearing us loud and clear.  We will not back down.  We will fight with every ounce of energy we can muster to defeat the war on women.

These rallies have served as good practice for the grand daddy of them all next month.  On Saturday, April 28, men and women in every state in the nation will march on their capitol in support of women's rights.  Our rally in Austin is expected to draw 10,000 people.  I am encouraged by everything I see happening around me.  It is far too long now that Texas has gone down the path of conservatism.  The winds of change are blowing, though, and pride is making a come back in our Texas.

On 4.28.12, my sign will read, "Repeal the Sonogram Law."

Check out Unite Women-Texas on Facebook or our website wowtex.org

PLS
~Martha 

No comments:

Post a Comment