Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Sunday, June 3, 2012

HIGHS AND LOWS

On Thursday, June 7, I will be heading to Houston with my fellow Caldwell County delegate, Sallie Ann for the Texas Democratic Convention.  Luckily for me, Sallie Ann has been a delegate every year of her residence except last year when she had knee surgery.  Although a tad nervous, I am ecstatic at my participation in this cornerstone of our political process.  For three glorious days, I will be surrounded by like-minded people from across Texas dedicated to the same objective: to put Democrats in every elected office from the local level to the presidency.  With the surgence of the TEA party Republicans, and all the underhanded and sometimes illegal acts in which they're engaging, it is more important than ever that our party makes a strong showing this November.  Democrats are literally fighting for survival in our governance. 

For the Texas primary election, I served as the Democratic presiding judge over Caldwell County's Precinct 206.  Across the room, were the Republicans.  As the day wore on, I saw them process over 180 voters to our 29.  Obviously, I was quite dejected at the abismal turnout at my table.  What was even more disappointing, were the people I watched come and go, every single one familiar to me in this small community of 5000.  Teachers and staff of the community's largest employer were coming to the polls in droves to vote Republican.  I became physically pained to watch them cast their votes for the party under whose power we could see the end of public education as we've known it.  I wonder, do they not realize how their party has abused them?  Here in Texas, the $5.4 billion cut in the education budget by our Republican legislature, would have been enough for me to take notice.  Governor Perry and Lt Governor Dewhurst are no friend to the state's educators, leaving districts across the state scrambling to find creative ways to school the masses on a shoestring budget.  The state's two most rich and powerful leaders have not authorized a raise for retirees since 1999, leaving our eldest retired teachers to live on as little as $750 a month.  I keep telling myself that if the people only knew the truth about what their leaders have done and continue to do, they would not be so quick to casually vote the way they always have.  I can get out, knock on doors, talk till I'm blue in the face, but how on earth do I fight this thoughtless, traditional casting of votes among these friends, acquaintances, neighbors of mine?  Somedays, I feel as though I'm standing in the middle of a crowded room, screaming at the top of my lungs, and not one single person notices.  And, if they do notice, they get mad at me for screaming.  I've always been an outsider having moved to this town eighteen years ago from D/FW, but I've never felt so more than now since I have become vocal about matters of how we are governed.

Yes, friends, I am frustrated at the manner in which the political machine works, and how it takes advantage of the people to its benefit.  Somedays, the frustration gets to the point I want to cry.  Corporate America, i.e. Wall Street, runs our government, in case you hadn't figured that out for yourself.  Are my Republican friends, acquaintances, neighbors aware of this, and if so, are they satisfied that their elected officials' allegiance is not to them at all, but to the highest bidder?  In our country's current political clown show, complacency is more a problem than the greed in which all politicians partake.  If we the people don't stand up and demand integrity and honesty of our leaders, then we deserve the leadership (or lack of) we get. 

Myself, I will continue to fight for Democratic leadership.  Until campaign finance reform becomes a reality and greed and money begin to make their exit from politics, I will work to promote the party whose interest lies in promoting the welfare of the people, not the welfare of the capitalistic model of economy.  Capitalism is a well-documented success, and it won't be set back or hindered in the least to impose regulation and fair taxation.  If that were the case, this nation could never have grown to be the global leader it is today.  Income tax rates under Progressive Era president Teddy Roosevelt were around 60%.  During the Great Depression, the tax rate rose to as high as 91%, later settling around 70% where it would stay until well into the 1960s.  This sort of bold tax policy did not bring our economy to its knees; quite the contrary.  Our nation has got to return to those days when the value of the American people counted. 

Houston and the convention will surely recharge my juices sapped by the pathetic voter response to the Texas primary.  Summertime in Texas will see me out knocking on more doors, talking to more people, registering every voter in sight, and encouraging you all to do the same. 

Do work....

PLS ~
Martha
The Raging Liberal
      

No comments:

Post a Comment