Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Friday, February 1, 2013

THE STATE OF THE STATE?

Earlier this week, I noticed a comment on Facebook made by a freshman representative from Keller.  My friend, Bill, liked his post making it show up in my feed.  This man's post said, "Rude liberals ousted today from the balconies."  I scrolled down to read each of the eight comments left by his followers.  Not surprisingly, the comments were all in agreement with his demeaning of liberals in general.  Of course, I was bothered by this, and wanted to say something, but went on about my business figuring it wasn't my place.  Well, that went on for about thirty minutes, and then I couldn't stand it anymore.  You guessed it.  I went back to that post, and left a comment sticking up for us liberals.  You'll be relieved to know, it was tactfully worded, and quite appropriate.  I simply suggested that we aren't rude so much as passionate.  A friend and fellow liberal saw my comment, and helped herself to a comment or two on the thread suggesting that in politics in Texas, there seems to be a lot of rudeness going around everywhere.

What Rep. Capriglione was alluding to in his public assessment of liberals is a group called the Texas Organizing Project.  This group is currently following Rick Perry around Texas by bus to demand that he expand Medicaid as part of the law of the land, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).  I marched and protested with them in Austin late last year.  I can tell you without a doubt, they are passionate about healthcare for all Texans.  A group from TOP was at the capitol the day Perry gave his State of the State address.  One member became so emotionally caught up with being in the same room as Perry that he stood up and started yelling at him to expand Medicaid.  This outburst caused a domino effect among the group and possibly other members of the gallery that day as they, too, began to voice their displeasure with the governor.  It was reported that the legislators all stood up and started clapping and cheering to drown out the protestors.  James Caldwell, the man who yelled out, was subsequently arrested by DPS, and several members were detained and questioned.

Regardless of what Perry said the other day, the way I see it, the state of our state is dismal.  And, obviously, I am not the only one who sees things in such dire terms.  We're failing miserably at educating our children, and Perry says we're funding our schools "phenomenally."  I literally laughed out loud when I heard him say that considering the $5.4 billion state lawmakers stole from our children's education.  And, they have no plans to restore those dollars this time around.

It goes without saying that Texas' uninsured citizens are the big losers.  With Perry's obstruction of implementation of the PPACA, millions remain out of the loop of healthcare.  When you see the suffering because of the actions of one man, it's hard not to get emotional and want to lash out.  My brother, John, is uninsured.  In the last few years,  his eyesight has greatly diminished because of cataracts.  Recently, he went through the laborious process of applying for Medicaid.  Sadly, he just learned he has been denied coverage.  Surely by now, everyone in Texas knows someone with a story like his.  Texas can and should do better by its people.

Legislators should always be keenly aware of the needs of all their constituents.  Mr. Capriglione would do well to rethink his decision to publicly scorn an entire sect of people by labeling them rude.  He is new at this important role he's won the honor of having, so he gets a pass this time.  I would also suggest he have his staff tend to his Facebook page in the future!  I certainly hope he is open to having an audience with everyone he represents up there in the Keller area.  Even the liberals.

PLS ~ Martha

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd have to take Xanax to be a republican, too...

    Anyway. It's not so much that Texans love Perry, but more a case of lazy and stubborn voters. Republicans are typically one tick voters--that the lazy part. If Adolph Hitler ran for any office on the republican ticket in Texas, he'd win. That the stubborn part.

    And we're not going to just get over it--we're going to work harder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's to like about the idiot masquerading as governor of my state? Contrary to what you believe, alprazolam, a recent poll shows the majority of Texans think it's time for Perry to not be governor anymore. We'll see what the future holds for old good-hair. (And, I guarantee you, it's not the presidency...hahahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and by the way. Who cares if we haven't won a state-wide race in years. Is that fact suppose to discourage us Dems from working hard to deter the destruction happening in Texas at the hands of conservatives? That'll happen on the 12th of never.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Republicans are typically one tick voters--that the lazy part."

    Funny how many Loyal Straight Party Dems on here have declared their ever loving fealty to the Democrat party and vow to never vote any way but straight party Democrat.
    They originated the term "Yeller Dog Democrat" with their famous "I'd vote for a yeller dog if it was on the democrat ticket." By the way the Democrat party they would always vote for was racist,Jim Crow laws, segregated schools ultra conservative. The Dem candidates they voted for ran on tickets such as "Segregation now segregation forever" When President Johnson pushed through the civil rights bill the most bitter opposition came from his fellow Democrats. President Johnson said that he could have never gotten it passed without the help of the Republicans in Congress.
    The Governor of Arkansas was a Dem not a Rep when Pres Eisenhower a Repub sent the troops in to Little Rock to integrate the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't find it funny that Democrats vow to vote Democrat!?! For me, it's a matter of ideology. I'm a Democrat because I put community above and before individualism. No Republican that has ever represented me/my family, shares my core values. I've butted heads with them more than not. That has not been the case with those Dem representatives. Trust me; I do have relationships with all those people. They work for me, and I hold them to the fire regardless of the (R) or (D) next to their name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alprazolam.

    Guess what? Those Southern Democrats, Dixiecrats, became Republicans after 1948 and 1968, so let's not go there.

    Justin Williams.

    ReplyDelete