Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Monday, January 21, 2013

NOW IS THE TIME

Since I last blogged, we have re-elected Barack Hussein Obama.  Yesterday, he was officially sworn in as the 44th President of the United States of America.  Election season is a blur, but I will never forget how I felt that night as I watched the returns with my fellow Caldwell County Democrats at the headquarters in Lockhart.  Even though I had worked as hard as I've ever worked on anything in my life, I was scared to death that we would fall short and lose the election.  So, it was no surprise to me that when we realized he had won, I sat there staring blankly, unsure if it was real.  It wasn't until one of the ladies present hugged me that I came out of my daze!

I want to brag that here in Caldwell County, Democrats swept every single local race up for grabs.  It is clear to this old girl that the folks around here got a taste of the TEA Party radicals that took power in the 2010 mid-term elections, and said, "Oh, hell no."  Looking back, that may have even been more sweet than the outcome of the presidential election, considering that Barack won in a landslide victory.

Now that the legislature here in Texas is in session, I have come out of hiding in full force.  Many rallies will be held at the capitol between now and April, one of which I attended on Saturday.  There are resolutions in both the Texas House and Senate that call for an amendment to the US Constitution to strike down Citizens United.  Support for these resolutions was impressive, and I pray that they become reality, and soon.  With this one decision by the Supreme Court, We The People took a death blow where our voice in our government is concerned.  We must fight until this outrageous decision is defeated and removed from our Constitution.  I am grateful for the courage of the Texas lawmakers in filing these resolutions.

Two of the many events being held during the session are the Save Texas Schools Rally on February 23, and the Planned Parenthood Texas Lobby Day beginning at 9 am on March 7.  Both events are at the capitol.  I encourage everyone to support these two important issues, and come out and show your support in person.  We want to show our lawmakers that we mean business, and the business is about the promotion and welfare of the people of Texas. 

Since early December, a prayer vigil has been held on Saturday mornings from 8 to 10 in front of the governor's mansion.  Cindy Noland began the vigil for healthcare, and will continue the vigil until all Texans have healthcare or Rick Perry is out of office, whichever comes first.  I joined Cindy and another woman on a recent Saturday.  I first met Cindy last year as we worked together with like-minded folks to organize the April 28 rally to defend against the Republican war on women.  Inspired by the solidarity, Cindy founded the organization FAWN (Faith Action for Women in Need).  I am honored to know Cindy, and participate with her in the good works to bring relief to the people of this great state.

Wherever you're at, get busy writing/emailing/calling your representatives that are currently working in Austin on the laws that will govern us for the next two years.  Let them know that we will hold them accountable to do what is just and good for us all.

Plug in here on Facebook, and let's get active together.  We have much work to do while we have the collective ear of the people who hold all the cards in Texas.  Myself, I'm going to make the most of the upcoming months.

PLS ~ Martha 

2 comments:

  1. It' seems like you are not going to let moss grow under your feet;you are up and running in 2013..Good for you.

    A vigil for health care? That's a great idea but Republicans think they own God...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Mike! But, like I told Rick Perry in a letter I sent off this morning, if he is a Christian like he claims to be, then he has fallen short of the example Christ Himself set for caring for the sick and poor. I challenged him to turn his abysmal record around, and use his position and power to bring about much-needed relief to the people of Texas. Now, I anxiously await the condescending response from his staff. I wonder if this time, they'll actually be nice. Geeez, after all the letters I've sent, you think they'd send me a personal invitation to come to Austin and speak with Perry in person. What I wouldn't give for that opportunity!

    ReplyDelete