Proud Liberal Woman

Proud Liberal Woman

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

GREETINGS FROM THE TRENCHES

Not until this very moment did I realize that I haven't blogged since August 23!  For those two months, I have been working my tail off campaigning for Democrats.  I have become good friends with the Sadler for Senate staff in Austin.  Those young people are utterly dedicated to electing this man to serve us in the United States Senate.  And, I have continued to campaign for Rose Meza Harrison to become my new district's next Congresswoman.  I saw Rose on Sunday when I attended the UniteWomen.org's Women Take Texas rally at the capitol.  My friend looks exhausted, but she keeps trucking, showing up for every event possible in each of the thirteen counties she will represent.  I haven't seen her opponent, Blake Farenthold, at any event in Caldwell County since the Thump parade in June.  He rode in the parade, and then promptly left our fair city.  Seems as though he would've wanted to stick around and meet people and gain support.  Nope.  I can only assume that he hasn't got the time to learn the plight of the people of this district.  But, boy howdy, the conservatives in town sure are proudly displaying his signs in their yards.  Really?  What do they even know about him other than the fact he's Republican?  What I know about him is that he has consistently sided with his fellow conservatives in Congress to block any forward motion on the part of our leader.  And, he has voted against support for veterans in the district.  Do you know that veterans in south Texas must travel to San Antonio to receive healthcare from the VA?  Shocking and unacceptable!  But, I digress. 

I just wanted to pop in to say I haven't completely bailed on this weblog.  Registering voters, erecting candidate signs, knocking on doors, making phone calls, all while I continue to be mother and substitute teacher, has taken all my time and energy.  My only regret is that I have no more time than I do to devote to re-electing our president and every Democrat down the ballot.  While it's puzzling to me, this election is shaping up to be a very tight race.  The idea that Romney could win the presidency has me scared to death.  And, so, back to the trenches I go.  Do something today to support your local Democrats all the way up to our president's re-election.  Talk to your friends and neighbors.  Mention the election to the clerk at the grocery store or your co-workers.  Start the dialog with everyone you meet, and let them know why you support the Democratic ticket in this election.  You never know when something you say may sink in and cause doubt about casting their vote for any Republican.  Just yesterday, I was talking to a fellow in Florida who, at the beginning of the conversation, could not be swayed from his committment to vote for Romney.  At the end of the conversation, the man declared what a nice lady I was, and that I had given him much to think about before he votes this coming Saturday.  Early voting has begun in Texas, and it is crunch time.   Let's win this thing for us all.

From the favorite of all my campaign buttons, I leave you with this:

Peace, Love, Obama!!

No comments:

Post a Comment